Connecting to DB2 from Paradox
This document helps in connecting to the DB2 from Paradox.
Check if the following driver exists:
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> ODBC -> Drivers -> IBM DB2 ODBC Driver.
Driver Installation Instructions:
- Check in the Software Permanent repository O:\BAD\PermRepository\SoftWare\drivers\ParadoxDriverForDB2 for the download name: v9.7fp3a_nt32_rtcl.exe
- If the above exe is not to be found, go to the following site:
- Bowse for fixes: Select below and continue to download the v9.7fp3a_nt32_rtcl.exe.
interim fix: DSClients-nt32-rtcl-9.7.301.326-FP003a
IBM Data Server Runtime Client (Windows/x86-32 32 bit) V9.7 Fix Pack 3a
- Follow the Setup Instructions on clicking the .exe file. This will install everything and setup the environment variables automatically.
- Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> ODBC -> Drivers -> Will show the IBM DB2 ODBC Driver.
System DSN Creation:
- Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> ODBC -> System DSN -> Add -> IBM DB2 ODBC Driver -> Datasource name : xxxAny .The database alias can be the one you want to use in paradox like dw_db_p instead of ny_alias below.
- Database alias -> Add ->
- Advanced Settings tab -> Add -> DBAlias -> value and pending value -> dw_db_p (this probably should be the alias you want to use in Paradox).
- Data Source tab -> UserId? : MsdZzz? Pwd: X@X9XXXe Save Password -> Okay.
- Try clicking on the System DSN -> Configure and Connect with the given username and password. Connection must be successful.
Delete Database Alias (if needed):
- If by some reason, you entered wrong details for a database alias <alias to be deleted> , it cannot be redone via the above interface. Follow the below steps to delete the db alias.
Start -> All Programs -> IBM DB2 -> DB2COPY2?
(or whatever was installed) -> Command line processor -> In the window enter the following command.
UNCATALOG DATABASE <alias to be deleted>
In some cases, you may need to refresh the directory cache, for this stop and start the DB2 Management service at:
Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> DB2 Management Service -> Stop and Start.
Paradox Alias Setup:
- Open bdeadmin.exe which can be found in either
- C:\Program Files\Borland\Common Files\BDE (or)
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Borland Shared\BDE
- If the db alias already exists, check if all the details are right (like driver etc), else create a new one.
- To create a new db alias:
- Right click in the left window – Databases and select New.
- New Database alias window opens which asks for Database Driver Name.
- Database driver name: Select the appropriate IBM DB2 ODBC Driver – DB2COPY2? .
- Make sure all the above details coincide i.e. ODBC DSN with the System DSN created, Type with the Driver name, Username, etc.
- Right click on the alias and save it.
- Can double click and login with password to see if you can login. Successful.
Verification of the Paradox Connection:
- Open Paradox
- Select Tools -> Alias Manager
- Select dw_db_p from Database alias drop down.
- Enter username and password and select Connect.
- Connection successful.
After database opens:
Successfully connected to DB2 via Paradox. Can run scripts which use the alias dw_db_p.
The information from the old page can also work (refer):
- 15 Jun 2011
Topic revision: r3 - 2012-05-03 - 15:06:08 - GlennStrout