Use this application to create a proposal letter that will be offered as part of an effort to recruit a new faculty member. The letter must cover four key areas, which are Academic Affairs, Faculty Compensation, Space and Capital Management, and Business and Fiscal Affairs, each area requires approval to ensure the School of Medicine's legal obligations are deliverable. This application facilitates the creation, submission, and tracking of approvals for a faculty recruitment proposal letter.
The recruitment of talented faculty is initiated by each department in the School of Medicine. The process of recruiting a potential candidate involves evaluating the skills and resources being brought in by the candidate, as well as, determining what resources the department may offer them as faculty when they arrive. The conditions and legal requirements offered to a potential faculty candidate by each department are spelled out in a Recruitment Proposal Letter which is sent to the candidate as part of their offer. The responsibilities of faculty who are recruited into the School of Medicine may include multiple components including patient care, clinical work, and Veteran Administration Medical Center (VA) service. A proposal letter's content submitted by a department will be reviewed by four School of Medicine reviewing authorities (1) Academic Affairs, (2) Faculty Compensation, (3) Capital Management and Space, and (4) Business and Fiscal Affairs to ensure it meets acceptable practices, internal compliance, and that the offered resources are available. If the letter receives the four necessary approvals, after a final approval by a senior Health Sciences authority, the initiator will be notified that they are approved to continue the recruitment process. Once a Recruitment Proposal Letter is approved, it should be included as part any offer sent to a faculty candidate. If the letter is not approved, the department may make any necessary improvements/corrections and resubmit a new letter if they are able to meet the requirements.
Because of the sensitive nature of recruitment proposal letters, the application requires an authorized user to log in via a password protected account. Access to the application by department personnel requires a relevant business need, approval from the department's Business Officer, and approval from an Academic and Staff Administration authority, all of which can be obtained by sending an email identifying the user, department and the business need to an approving contact.
The faculty recruitment proposal letter process begins when approved department personnel download a suitable template letter which they modify to compose a recruitment proposal letter for a specific faculty candidate. Once the proposal letter has been composed, it may be submitted (uploaded) for review through the application's interface. After the letter is uploaded, the application automatically sends an email notification to the four reviewers who evaluate the conditions and legal commitments of the letter in each of the following areas:
- Faculty Compensation - checks that the salary commitments are in compliance with current practices
- Space and Facilities - checks that the building space, lab space and other facilities commitments are reasonable and available
- Academic Affairs - checks that the candidates endorsements, clinical responsibilities and qualifications are appropriate and valid
- Business and Fiscal Affairs - checks that any financial commitments offered can be supported by the budget
During the review process each of the reviewers has an opportunity to request changes or post comments on the current version of the letter. If changes to the existing version of the letter are required, the department personnel may revise the letter and upload a modified version of the letter, in which case the last uploaded version becomes the current version in review. Once the letter has received four approvals from the authorized reviewers, the application sends an email to the final reviewer. A senior Health Science authority reviews then either approves or rejects each recruitment proposal letter which has passed the four area reviews. If the letter receives a final approval the department may proceed with their hiring process. If the letter is rejected, the department is free to begin the process again starting with a fresh letter and incorporating any changes which may be necessary to prevent another rejection.
- Administrative assistants are only able to access the faculty proposal letter templates, which they must pass to an approved initiator for submission.
- Initiators, Department Business Officers (DBO's) or Chief Administrative Officers (CAO's) may solicit approval for a faculty recruitment letter by submitting a modified letter template.
- Initiators and CAO's will be able to see who has reviewed a letter, but will not be able to see any reviewer comments.
- Reviewers must lock and unlock the letter when they are reviewing it in order for their review to be recorded.
- Another reviewer can not open or access the letter when it has been locked by any other reviewer.
- The final approving authority, currently the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences, does not receive an email notification about the letter until after the fourth reviewer submits their review. However, upon logging in, the Asst. VC will see all letters and all comments in the process.
Click here for instructions on how to use the Faculty Recruitment Proposal Letter application.
- Portal applications do not run on QA2 because Tomcat 5.0 is not installed.